Twitter – What is it?
• Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send and read short 140-character messages called “tweets”. The message can include web addresses and other links.
What do you do with it?
• Registered users can read and post tweets, but unregistered users can only read them. Users access Twitter through the website interface, SMS, or mobile device app and you can add links to other sites, photos and videos.
What is tagging?
• A word, phrase or topic that is tagged at a greater rate than other tags is said to be a “trending topic”.
• Trending topics become popular because of an event that prompts people to talk about a specific topic which helps their users to understand what is happening in the world. (Trending right now – Ebola, George Clooney). You can use a hashtag #Ebola
• Advertising – products and events.
• Promotion – prompt events linking to more information in your blog or a web site.
• News feeds- BBC, CNN, The Times.
• Social comment shared with family or just people who follow you.
• Read comments by interesting people or complete idiots.
• You can learn by following links to more information.(follow @TEDTalks).
• Saying something concise in 140 characters is quite difficult. It improves your writing and makes you think in a clear, succinct way.
• You can have your say, by tweeting to news-outlets, (such as BBC Radio – The Source) or by commenting on a service or product, (the service on ABC airline is horrible!)
• You can send photos of events, (omg there’s a shark).
• You are part of a global conversation, (read Yoko Ono, Richard Branson,The Pope).
• You are not alone and it is fun – @EmrgencyKittens (For when you need a kitten (or other type of cat) to cheer you up! )
A friend of mine is a DJ and when she plays certain tunes she will link them to her site via a tweet with the name of the group and title. The members of the group follow her and can see when she plays their tune. They then retweet it to their followers and their followers retweet it so you get a snowball effect.
E.g. coming up next Blues Without You http://Junkyardlive.com @StoneyCurtisBand, the “@” sends a direct message to the group.
You have reached this page because you have an interest in blogging or are just curious. There are other blogs like blogger but I use WordPress and today WordPress powers one of every 6 websites on the Internet, nearly 60 million in all, with 100,000 more popping up each day. Those run through its cloud-hosted service, which lets anybody create a free website online, attract 330 million visitors who view 3.4 billion pages every month.
In the early 2000s the Internet began to undergo a fundamental change. No longer was it a passive medium it became something you could contribute to either by commentating or by having your own blog. And you could do it for free. I wanted a companion free site to this one so in a matter of minutes My Third Age. The Internet became truly interactive. With the advent of Twitter in 2006 this became more so.
One keyword covers all this activity and that is “share”. This is why people blog it is to share their thoughts and experiences through the medium of text, pictures and video in a public forum. Sounds very grand but you will find hundreds of thousands of blogs about pets alone. Think of an interest and I bet someone has started a blog about it. You might have a pet goldfish called Sammy who swims around his fish bowel; you stare and wonder what he is thinking; then you think what he might be thinking;(lol) give him your thoughts and TheThoughtsOfSammyTheGoldfish.com could be the next hottest thing on the web. Trivial I know but I believe everyone has something to say. You may be a bit isolated from people or your family a blog can act as a great album for family occasions. If you have a phone you have a camera and more than likely you can put pictures on the ‘net. Your laptop probably has a web cam you can put a video on your blog. If you have a camera mores the better.
A couple of years ago I lost a lung to cancer, through smoking. You may find it hard to believe but I carried on smoking, a 42 year old habit. Three months ago I realised how stupid this was and started noticing electronic cigarettes. I bought a kit and I haven’t smoked tobacco in the past 3 months. I have kicked the habit. To be more aware I set up a Google alert for every time someone in the news or blog mentioned e-cigarettes. I will be blogging my research findings. See?
Twitter and blogging go hand in hand. You will see at the bottom of the page buttons to share this blog. Each entry automatically goes to my twitter account. The two are linked. You will see too that part of this blog has a twitter feed. This means every time I tweet it appears on my blog page. Thus my page is constantly refreshed.
I have quite a few blogs some with a readership in their thousands. Some are personal and some are political I hope all of them are thought provoking. This blog cost me €12 to set up and I have hosting for free as I have multiple sites. Blogging is a great activity, makes for a great hobby and a way of staying in touch with that wonderful medium that is the Internet.
To leave a comment CLICK HERE